Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Glasgow Meteor (I thought it was going to hit)

Did anyone see the meteor on sat the 16th of October about 11pm near the Glasgow area? It was going from NNE to N . Looked just like a normal meteor except it went through the clouds, and lit them up all, I've never seen anything like it.

I was out at an observing session at Harperrig reservoir on Sat 16th which is further East but still in the Central Belt. Although I missed it myself (typical:rolleyes:) several members of the group saw a very bright meteor around that time. I think at least one person saw it change colour to green before it burnt up.

I'll post a link on the forum and see if someone can post a first hand account for you. :)

http://scottishastronomers.com/forum/index.php?topic=1045.0

Cheers

Here's the conformation for you -

Twas a splendrous sight crashing through U-Maj with a large raggedy fireball trailing a vibrant white trimmed green and lemon trail!

Thanks to John (Iris) for the first hand account, I'm kicking myself for missing this one!! :)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who seen it. Reminds me of about 7 years ago I was trying to fall asleep for school in a few hours (wide awake lol) and I seen a huge asteroid (or comet not sure of the difference) go past. I'll never forget the size of it. As it was easily bigger, in appearance, then the moon. And the bright blue colour of it and its tail. Funny thing is I never heard anyone talk about it, or on the news. Either it was covered up as it was a near miss, or no one knew.

• 1 month later...

Archived