NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Adding new satellites to Stellarium

george7378

Hi everyone,

I quite fancy my chances at seeing a geostationary satellite constellation when my new scope comes, but the satellites don't seem to be in Stellarium's default satellite plugin database. I have found that you can add them by editing the satellites.json file, but you have to do it manually and it is a pain. Do you know of any other ways, or other programs for geosationary satellite tracking?

Thanks.

These allow you to add new objects, not sure if artificial satellites are on the list though.

No, no artificial satellites there, only Solar System bodies. :D The Satellites plug-in uses separate lists, not the Solar System model. The satellite hints are overlaid onto the sky (like all other objects in Stellarium, actually).

Gpredict has been developed for Linux, but I see that it has a Windows build:

Gpredict: Free, Real-Time Satellite Tracking and Orbit Prediction Software

I haven't tried it on Windows, though.

The Satellites plug-in really should have an option to add new satellites (or at least pick names from the update files), but its developer seems to be rather busy in the moment - I haven't seen him in Stellarium's developer mailing list for some time.

Archived