NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

first sketch - jupiter 25 september 23.00

Ags

While on holiday in Madeira I was inspired by Carol's SaN article to try and sketch Jupiter, in particular because my log book had a rough pen doodle recording the best seeing I have ever had (on 25 Sept).

Here it is... I know the shape is round and wrong, I don't know how to get a 'jupiter shape'. Carol says round is OK! I think this is a fair representation of what you can see through a 100mm scope with good seeing.

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/ags-albums-misc-picture7159-jupiter25sept2010.jpg

Well done Ags, you captured a lot of details and i really like the way you shaded the area outside of Jupiter... gives it a nice personal touch. :D

Round is ok as far as i'm concerned. I tried using a printed oblate outline of Jupiter once, but it just didn't work out. To keep the paper drier while sketching, i sit under a 6' patio umbrella. That particular night, the dew was extremely heavy and a few drops of it ran down the umbrella's spine and plopped right onto my Jupiter sketch... the watery ink ran down the paper like a drop of black blood. I decided right then and there to use pencilled circles instead of pre-printed ink oblates. :)

hello Ags, welcome to sketching! it is a great way to make yourself examine an object properly and thoroughly.

I made myself a jupiter template with the plastics laser cutter we have at work, not that helpful i know, but maybe you could print one out, stick it to some card or thin plastic and cut it out very carefully with scissors?

Carol, I haven't read you SaN article about Jupiter, I may have to buy a copy now!

Archived