TAL-1 - rubbish images

Having looked at the images in the sticky primer-registax-tutorials-old-new thread, I realise that the images I have of Jupiter are no good. I got them by just holding my digital camera (not an SLR) up to the eyepiece of my TAL-1. Unfortunately, with the limited settings I have I can only get a bright smudge of the planet (see the last 2 shots in Dropbox - Photos - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy.). I will have another go tonight but I think I will have to get myself a toucam or something like that.

Could I get a usable image from a simple compact digital camera? Do you have any advice for doing so?

--- Penguin

Then I went outside again and tried a simple thing: zoomed in with the camera! Doh! Suddenly Jupiter was big enough for it to realise where the subject was and how to expose it and I had colour and cloud bands on the screen.

I recorded a minute or so of video while trying to keep it in the scope's field and the camera's viewfinder. Then I chucked it through registax on the default settings (as I have no idea what I am doing with that software) and came up with this:

jupiter-stacked-20101011-0000.jpg

I'm pretty chuffed and can't wait for the webcam. Hopefully then I will be able to get even better images.

--- Penguin.

Archived