Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Reflector, refractor...or Maksutov for DSO? Attempted future-proofing with mount too!

YOu seem a bit hung up on the 300 newt.

Not at all :p When I mentioned I liked the look of it I also stated it would be too much for the 6 :D

It would be a lovely scope though.

No, what I'm getting hung up is the Cassegrains :D I'm pretty much decided on a powerful scope for the solar system (and a few smaller DSOs) with an eye on a Newt early next year for the wider field.

I'm getting closer to the scope I'll buy but I've started to research with a different mindset now. I'm lowering my expectations and also preparing myself for a second scope in early 2011 so I shouldn't get disappointed if I buy the best I can for a certain field.

Pretty much lines up with what you're saying on "I know I'll get lynched for this but I'd incline to advise people not to get their hopes up with imaging". So I think I'm on the right track :)

But I've said since the beginning that the photography part is a bit off (although the technicality side phases me zero. It's in fact the attraction). I'm aiming to get a long term scope here. Something to have fun with now but also be able to be part of my hobby's future.

I'll make my mind up 100% when the 6 arrives and I see what i have left.

I guess what I've come to conclude is by next year I'll own both a Mak and a Newt.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EQ5 or over should be fine for the 150PL. If you want to future proof yourself, get the EQ6. Don't expect a huge increase in quality between the 150PL and Skymax range. Both are planetary scopes by the way, if you want to observe deep sky, aim for an f5 reflector. To image deep sky, go down the apo refractor route. HTH

Thanks fella (you're local to me :)).

Forget the mount though. In my ridiculously long posts :D I've said I've got the 6 sorted and will take delivery in the latter part of next week.

I need to abbreviate my jibba jabba lol

And the 150PL is gone.

The APO refractors are stunning for sure.

PS Dave,

Do you ever get up to the hill in Muggleswick? I plan on going up there in the coming month or so. We used to drive up there and just chill when we first bought our house in Shotley bridge. It's perfect for a bit of Derwentside clear air :D

PS Dave,

Do you ever get up to the hill in Muggleswick? I plan on going up there in the coming month or so. We used to drive up there and just chill when we first bought our house in Shotley bridge. It's perfect for a bit of Derwentside clear air :D

Sy, if you mean the moors over by Smiddyshaw and Waskerley then I don't go up there because it's too exposed. I nearly got frostbite in April once!

The best dark spots in Derwentside, IMHO, are the car parks at Derwent reservoir. They are dark but also sheltered by stands of fir trees. Sunderland AS do their dark sky observing at Mill Shield and I have been to Pow Hill with friends from Durham AS a couple of times.

Carricks, over towards Blanchland is good too.

Do they not normally lock those off after hours? Or is it special permission for the club?

I know anglers are there most of the time.

But yeh...what a place.

Muggleswick yep. Before you approach the vistors shop/bridge you turn left further back on the road) and up the hill. It's much higher than the lake but your shelter point is a good one. A very good one. I used to fly up there sometimes but the wind could get up quite a bit. Coupled with hours of standing still it would get nippy. Very nippy :D

Millshield is often locked (Sunderland AS have a key) but the rest rarely so (hope the parkies don't get wind of this! :D). I generally go to the upper car park at Pow Hill. Although closer to the road, it's got better horizons than the lower car park, which is in a bit of a bowl and on a bank.

There are a few shots on my Flickr page taken from there.

Yeh I did an (PS) post about Pow Hill. It's a great idea.

I've checked you account earlier and the images are stunning. Particularly the North American. All 3 :D

I loved the comp you did of the moon days (saw it on another forum via a Google search). Well presented.

Archived