NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Balancing Scope on EQ mount

Hi - I'm no physicist, so I'm looking for advice. To minimise wear on the RA axis drive on a CG-5 Go-to mount, is it better to use one counterweight on the mount further down the counterweight shaft, or to use two counterweights close to the RA axis. Or maybe it doesn't make any difference...I hope I've explained this clearly!

My refractors really only need one weight, close to the RA axis so the question is a bit academic with them, but my MAK CASS, which is much heavier, could be a one or two counterweight job, depending on where they are located on the shaft.

Thanks. Ed

Hi Ed - my small refractor only needs one weight near the RA axis just like yours. I usually use the big one because when I add in a 2" diagonal and a weighty ep (or a camera on a rig) the balance isn't right.

The main thing is that, so long as it all balances in RA and DEC it will be ok. It's a bit of an art but follow the procedure in the mount instructions and you'll soon get used to balancing it under differing conditions :(

If you can keep the weights closer to the center you will minimise wear and tear, but in all cases balance comes first.

If you have the same bits and bobs on your scope what you can do is stick a bit of masking tape in places so you can position it in the right spot the next time you use it. I've got bits of tape all over my scope, I've written on each bit of tape what equipment is being used for each balance point. Save alot of time.

Archived