Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deep sky with SPC900NC - Help!

Hi,

I am recently jumped on the £6 bandwagon for an 880 with the intention of upgrading the software to make it a 900 (I actually bought 2 of them - irresistible!).

But I really do not know anything about how to start with this... I was hoping that SGL's cumulative knowledge could either give me an introduction to the basics, or point me in the right direction of where I may find one.

My questions include:

What modifications would you recommend if I want to take pictures of the planets, and also of deep space? I have read that I need a long exposure mod for deep space, but why is this? Why would it not just work from short exposures? If anyone could provide a scientific answer, that would be good :o

I know I have to get a nose-piece and IR Filter, but is that all?

My Nexstar 8 GPS does not have a wedge, and therefore will this cause me a problem?

What software would you recommend me to download to start processing some good images?

Any other knowledge that you guys feel I could benefit from would be very much appreciated!

As soon as I get going with pictures, I'll upload them and tell you how it all went!

Thanks!!!! :)

There are a few long threads all about this webcam that should answer most of your questions.

You could get yourself a cup of coffee and start here: http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/113699-philips-spc880nc-now.html

The simple answer regarding exposure is that faint objects don't produce much light. The longger the exposure to this light, the more will collect on the sensor and the fainter objects will start to appear. Being a webcam the longest exposure is only a tiny fraction of a second. Deep sky objects require many minutes of exposure. SLR cameras are ideal for this. The webcam is best at bright objects like planets..

Archived