Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 200P

Help, did the First light on my new scope tonight, but when I started to use the diagnal I could not get any focus. Then backed it onto the Barlow and it workrd fine. It focused fine directly into the holder but I do need the diagnal fitted to get comfortable viewing.

Was wondering why I could not get it focused with the diagnal fitted without the Barlow

You know you can turn the scope round in its rings. When the viewing angle is bad you can loosen the tube rings a little and twist the scope round so thet the eyepiece is as a better angle.

Be careful doing this because a 200 is quite a heavy old scope and it can veryh easily slip violently so exercise extreme care.

You can if your mechnically minded build an anti-slip ring so that the scope cant slip downwards. SOme peple use sewing hoops etc - theres an article eher by me which is how I did it for my own 200.

Rotating Rings for Reflector Telescopes

You also have to rotate the tube carefully - dont loosen stuff up too much or else the tube will slip down, rip the focuser off, overbalance the mount on its way through and potentially wreck the tube AND the mount :o

YOu just need to loosen them a bit and then carefully - with a 200 its best to stand behind it and grip the rear of the tube with both hands and turn it slowly like your turning a large valve.

You may also find the felt in the rings is a bit of an impediment. The tube on most scopes isn't perfectly round and as a result there might be a high spot that causes the tube to start removing the very thin felt in the rings, the back to the felt is sticky and the tube ends up jammed up. Its not a big hassle to fix but it can be annoying.

I replaced the felts in mine with some better quality sticky back felt from a hobby shop (cost about £1) - it has the advantage that its thicker and fluffier so when you loosen the rings the felt is quite spring and acts as a kind of friction brake to stop the tube slipping violently.

Remember even with a locking ring to stop the tube slipping through the rings the scope still has an offet weight in the focuser and eyepiece so you dont want it to be too free running.

Archived