NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focuser on WO ZS66

MG1

Has anyone upgraded to a moonlight or feathertouch with this scope....It's main use is as a travel scope and for guiding and I'm getting increasingly frustrated with the stock focuser...especially the focus shift when locking off....I'm sure i'm loosing guid stars that way. :icon_salut:

Anyway...any thoughts appreciated as this upgrade seems very pricey for what is a cheapish but otherwise excellent little performer.

Cheers

Michael

Don't get me wrong...it is a lovely scope, but I've noticed that i'm getting movement when I lock the focus down...i'm going to have a play with it tonight and see if I can do anything with all of the adjustment screws.

You could pop a motorised focuser on there, I'm using the Lakeside one and in theory because its a stepper motor it locks it off whenever it stops moving so there is no need to lock it down.

Another method would be to pack out the side of the drawtube opposite to the lock screw which would stop it moving when you tighten the screw.

To be honest though, I've been using one of these up until recently and I chose my guide star after I'd locked the focuser.

HTH.

To be honest though, I've been using one of these up until recently and I chose my guide star after I'd locked the focuser.

HTH.

Genius....and of course the eyepiece is parfocal with the guide cam...obvious. Thanks for that.

That's a few quid saved.

Michael

Hi guys....I had a tweak last night and found that by tightening the screws that hold the focuser on it makes a huge difference to the flop.

It's now just a matter of balancing the firmness of these against allowing the focuser to rotate.

I think I might look to replace these with nylon tipped thumbscrews. That way it will be easily adjustable in the field. Whatdayathink?

Now anyone like to suggest what size these screws might be and where to source nylon tipped ones?

Do we have an 'Astro bits' sticky?

Michael

Archived