NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hard choice - Orion EON 120mm or Skywatcher Pro 120ED APO

Hello everyone,

I'm just about to hop into space with the purchase of my first serious telescope. After much reading on various sites, forums and major astronomy magazines for over a year, I've decided to start off with an APO refractor.

After recently joining my local astronomy club, they too suggested that I give a refractor a go as its less hassle and easier to setup and work with - a good learning tool.

Because my main interest is astrophotography so I believe its necessary to purchase a refractor that will grow with my knowledge and be able to live up to my astrophotography expectations when the time comes.

I've decided on a Orion Atlas EQ-G or CGEM, and for a telescope, either a Orion EON 120 APO or Skywatcher PRO 120ED APO.

From my research, the Orion APO consists of two FPL-53 type lens, while the Skywatcher only has one. I believe this is an important advantage for the Orion. In addition, the Orion APO provides a dual-speed crayford, while the Skywatcher has a ran & pinion focuser.

However, the Orion is $200 more expensive and does not include anything else - no viewfinder, diagonal or eyepieces! This means I'll need to dig a further $400 to purchase the necessary equipment to get this baby working.

My question to everyone out there who has a lot more experience than me, is whether its worth spending the extra cash for the Orion, or simply go for the Skywatcher.

If the visual difference between the two is almost unnoticed, then obviously there is no point in spending the extra cash on the Orion.

Any suggestions or advise will be highly appreciated!

Many thanks in advanced.

Optically I believe they are both identical. Using 2 FPL-53 lens elements would not work as I understand that a doublet or triplet needs elements of different glass types and different refractive indexes in order to work.

I think the decision for you is whether the higher standard of finish and fittings of the EON are worth the additional cost to you. I believe the Skywatcher Equinox is the same scope as the Orion Eon:

Equinox - Skywatcher Equinox 120 APO PRO OTA

jahmanson,

Many thanks for your reply.

I believe I'm missing something here. The product URL you provided seems quite different from the one I saw and have in mind:

Sky-Watcher Pro Series 120ED APO Refractor - S 11130 - OPT Telescopes

Are there US and EU versions of the same product ???

In regards to the build quality, I understand you are point that Orion telescopes are of a higher quality than Skywatcher - I wasn't aware of that.

My original post was regarding the Skywatcher I saw on OPT. Your link is almost identical with Orion's EON 120!

Help ! I'm confused !!! :icon_salut:

Skywatcher make two versions of the 120ED scope. They are optically identical, and so is the Orion EON.

Pro Series - Skywatcher Evostar 120ED DS-Pro OTA

Equinox - Skywatcher Equinox 120 APO PRO OTA

The Equinox is basically a better-built version, with a nicer focuser. There's not much between them, but it's really up to you whether you feel the extra £250 is worth it for the superior build. I think the Orion EON is more expensive than both...

Andrew

The Sky-Watcher Equinox and Orion EON are the exact same scope in all respects save for the logo. There is no optical or mechanical difference between the two. Orion began offering the EON at least two years after Sky-Watcher began selling it as the Equinox.

And yes, there is no optical difference between the Equinox/EON 120 and the latest* gold ('Pro') or black tube ('Black Diamond') 120EDs, although the Equinox/EON is 'nicer' than the plain 120ED, mechanically.

Sky-Watcher Equinox = Orion EON = 120ED optics.

*Early 120EDs may have slightly different optics than later 120EDs and all Equinox/EONs. Schott glass and a different mating element, or something like that.

Andrew,

Thank you for helping clear things up for me. The choice is obvious, the Skywatcher Equinox 120 APO seems like the best choice if the build quality between it and the Orion EOS is pretty much the same.

I'll try and find a couple of reviews on the scope as everything I've read so far was related to the Black diamond series, which is clearly lower quality built.

Thanks again!

• 3 years later...

I wonder if anyone has compared the optical performance of the newer Synta 120ED's with the Schott front element with that of the older workhorse, the Orion 120ED. Playing the devil's advocate, Synta's alliance with Schott doesn't have to be to obtain a better product; it could simply be to obtain a cheaper or more reliable source of glass!

Evan

As I understand it, Skywatcher have always used a Schott glass type as the mating element to the Ohara FPL-53 ED element in their ED doublets. In recent years they signed an agreement with Schott to promote this relationship more hence the sticker on the scopes and the mention of the Schott brand more in the promotion of the scopes.

Archived