Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher 200p + EQ5 + SynScan Upgrade

Hello Folks.

I have just upgraded my EQ5 to a SynScan GOTO Setup, and Have seen a few issues in the past, that people have struggled to get the mount to align?

raygil-albums-eq5-synscan-picture6847-finished-unit.jpg

Yesterday I upgraded the Firmware of the handset, and tested the mount indoors only! Have not had the weather to actually get out there and set it up at the Dark Sky Site.

Is there anything I should be aware of? Is it an easy set up? I gather the scope still needs Polar alignment, before you start the 3 star set up, is this the most accurate?

Look forward to any replies.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Yes, you'll want to polar align before doing the three-star alignment, but other than that there's no particular trick to it. The first star your scope will slew to will almost certainly be off by quite a way, but the second and third will be closer and will require less adjustment. Take the time to get the alignment stars really central in a high-magnification eyepiece and your subsequent go-tos will be more accurate. I recently bought a cross-hair reticle eyepiece to help me get this even more accurate, and it does make a difference.

Good luck!

3 Star alignment can be a bit of a pain. The scope needs to be targetted very accurately on the alignment stars and sometimes it can be hard to judge if the star is centred. Heres a tip - get the finder and the main scope optics aligned very closely. NOw when you do the three star align IGNORE the main scope optics and target the alignment stars with the finder which conveniently has crosshairs in it guaranteeing the star is centred. Voila - job done. So longa s the finder and the main optics are well aligned all should be well.

To get round the finder being in strange abgles at times I lashed out on a right angled finder mostly for alignment purposes.

The other big headache most people have with the upgrade is the scope missing its targets by MILES - and I mean MILES. THat is always caused by people putting the wrong motor gear on the mount - one of the motors has two sets of drive teeth and people get it the wrong way round. I have seen a few on here do this so perhaps someone who has been there can advise on that.

Other than that all should be well. Good luck with it.

First of all thank you for the Replies.

This is my Motor Setup:

raygil-albums-eq5-synscan-picture6842-motor-cogs.jpg

I did post on here a few days ago asking about with gear to use, and was informed it's the smaller of the two.

Great Idea with the finder! Never thought of that, and that sounds an ideal solution. (Thank You)

I had the scope out last night, and apart from a few niggles with clouds covering my alignment stars, it all went very well.

So thank you, Really appreciate the replies.

Clear Skies

Ray

I got a great tip from somebody on this site last year: rotate your tube in the rings until the focuser is pointing in the same direction as your counterweight bar. This way, through the magic of the equatorial mount, the eyepiece never ends up in a difficult position.

Like you, I was planning on arranging rotating rings, but since I learnt this tip I've not felt the need.

WoW! What a great Tip? I will try that next time I'm out, thank you! That's what I love about the SGL, there is always someone willing to pass on great advice. (why isn't that printed in the manual :icon_salut:)

Cheer's

Ray

Archived