NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Selecting a scope for DSLR astrophotography

I'm very tempted to put aside some money to buy a telescope purely for DSLR astrophotography and would appreciate some expert input.

From my experience in 'normal' photography I know that basically you get what you pay for and that there is no perfect scope for all subjects, which is why almost all of my Canon lens are prime L series from fisheye upto 600mm :)

Assuming I want to photograph planets and have a go with DSOs and I spend upto £1000 for the scope/adaptors/flattener and I have a Sky-watcher EQ5 with a Ra drive what would be my best option?

Things like type of scope / focal length / aperture / edge to edge sharpness / minimal CA / Colur purity / barlows? are obvious factors and also what camera? I plan to use the Canon 7D or 5D MkII on the back of the scope initially and may invest in a CCD camera if the bug bites or else some one on here will get a good bargain when I quit and find another challenge ;)

Yup I know it's an age old question but nothing beats practical experience :p

Links to scopes on FLO would be ideal because I did say to Steve my next astro purchase would be with them (unless someone has an ideal second hand system available)

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken the first steps and bought the basics so I can use my Canon prime lens initially.

QHY5 camera - bought

ADM SBS adaptor plate for the ST80 and Canon 600mm f4L - bought

EQ6 mod - bought

EOS clip CLS filter - bought

x2 barlow and DSLR t-mount adaptor - bought

EQ6 Syntrek - ordered, due Thursday

ST80 guidescope - ordered, due Thursday

I just need to finalise the telescope selection to get me further and I need to find someone that sells cloud free skies :o

Skywatcher MN190? Flat field with a DSLR, 190mm aperture, 1000mm focal length, f5.3.

In my albums you will find a selection of pictures taken with the MN190.

Great for DSO's, but also long enough and wide enough to be useful for planetary viewing/pics too.

Your Canon lenses will give excellent results btw, but you will likely need to invest in a dew control system, same goes for a telescope really, given that the dewy season is now well and truly upon us.

Your Canon lenses will give excellent results btw, but you will likely need to invest in a dew control system, same goes for a telescope really, given that the dewy season is now well and truly upon us.

Thanks for the info TJ, I already have a Kendrick system for dew control on my camera lens. I started to get problems at the end of August so I bought a system to control the problem when shooting star trails. I will need to buy a larger heater tape for the big primes but the rest is sorted.

On the down side, the MN190 is heavy, it is very sturdy, has internal baffles and of course the corrector which add to the weight. I guide mine and image without a seperate guide scope, but I have used it side by side with a Borg77 + Camera on an EQ6, and it coped very well with the weight, still very round stars even on 20 minute exposures. That is pier mounted though.

If you fancy coming this way anytime and seeing it in the flesh so to speak, just send me a pm. I am only home evenings and some sundays though.

I picked up the new EQ6 Syntrek and ST80 today from Rother Valley Optics and a couple of 200mm support rings that will need modifying to give the Canon 600m lens some additional support.

I'm so glad the EQ6 Syntrek comes in two boxes, there is no way I could of carried it in one box !

A question that has popped into my head:

If I'm guiding the EQ6 with the ST80 and QHY5 just how important is polar alignment other than for 'goto' targetting ? i.e if I find the region of sky I want to photograph and pick a local guide star won't the guidecam maintain the relative position regardless of the polar alignment. Obviously aligning the mount north and up around 53 degrees will stop the system doing anything silly but is polar accuracy only necessary if you want to goto a target using a laptop or the Ra and Dec rings

Archived