NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY5 installation - WINUSB.dll not found

milan

Just got our netbook and installing the QHY 5. Its a Compaq mini 311c running xp Home SP3

Instructions i have say:

Install ASCOM5 platform

Install QHY5 system drivers

Install QHY5 ASCOM driver

Connect camera

Dont let windows connect to internet, specify it intalls driver automatically, ignore any warnings

Install QGVideo

Start then Close QG Video (comes up and says WINUSB.dll missing)

Install the 2nd driver, answer as before

Install PHD guiding

So if i start QG Video i get WINUSB.dll missing. When i run PHD it says cannot connect to camera having selected ASCOM v5 Camera and then CMOS QHY5

Advice?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use drivers that work !!

I had the same result a few days ago when I thought I'd try the ascom drivers, it all went T*ts up !!

so I used "Your Uninstaller" to take ev erything off again and re-install the drivers that have worked from day one. QHYDrv1024

there's a sticky on the imaging board I think with the drivers on it

Hi Milan,

I had mega problems trying to get my QHY5 to work with PHD, in the end Bern at Modern Astronomy sent me a cd with the drivers and it works, I did have to install nas your post using Ascom 5v in then selecting Cmos nmfrom the ascom chooser.It is all working like a dream now.

The thing is you must make sure all the old drivers are removed.

HTH

John

okay, also tried the astrosoft.be dirver removal tool, says no drivers installed. So reinstalled and then installed QGvideo 3.4.1 (BETA) from the same site. Nothing.

Ive even manually pointed device manager at the QHY5 driver directory, clicked ok and it then says, hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software

/sigh

Well ive tried the old ones listed here and also the new 32/64bit ones from the QHYCCD website and i get the same thing come up:

"The Hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find he necessary software"

So ive tried the drivers listed here, QGuider drivers and the 32/64bit drivers listed on the QHY website.

Cant think of anything else to do!

Running the QHYCCD uninstall tool says there are no drivers installed.

Device Manager shows the following VID/PID Number (means nothing to me!) USB\VID_FF18&PID_0901\5&24EC86DA&0&1

First off uninstall everything !

Then reinstall QHY5Drv.exe (this is the base driver) see post above , you want the qhy5 "UPDATE" (http://www.qhyccd.com/download.html), and then install QHY5Drv1024.exe and also the QgVideo driver

If this doesn't do it I give in , there are now far too many different drivers out there.

Milan, Don't let windows go on the net, say not this time and you ought to be okay

Okay let me get this straight,

1. Uninstall all drivers and the ASCOM PLATFORM and QGvideo and PHD? (DONE)

2. Install the QHY5DRv.exe (UPDATE) (FILENAME READS QHY5Firm.exe, if you clock on the word 'update', or do you mean click on the file to the left that read QHY5Drv.exe as your post seems to suggest?) from the QHYccd website

3. Install the QHY5Drv1024.exe AFTER the one above (Why install both?, not done this to date and not seen anywhere that says to run two driver exe files , just curious and will try anything right now)

4. Install QGVideo? Which version?

5. Then connect camera?

6. Install ASCOM?

7. Install PHD?

I intend to guide using PHD bu will need ascom to use EQMOD

Could it be a QHY5v? and not a plain 5? i did ask the shop for a plain 5, but with no markings you cant tell!

Thanks for the help

Ive not let windows connect to the internet at all and even specified the directory where to look, just let it search on its own or specify? ive tried both without success to date

Sorry for all the questions, its just a minefield for one camera!

Although on Vista 32bit, I installed the QHY5Drv.exe from the QHY site and Vista picked up the camera when I plugged it in, I think that is all you need to actually run the camera, its all I loaded.

I think with XP it needs to install the driver for each USB port which it should do itself once you have installed the above file.

The firmware update I haven't done.

Once the QHY5 was seen then I installed the Ascom platform, Ascom 5.5 update, QHY5 Ascom drivers and made sure I had Microsoft .net Framework 3.5 installed. This is all needed to run PHD as the drivers in PHD are Ascom compliant drivers, then on top of that if you are going to control the mount through your computer you need to install EQmod.

I had a bit of a mare setting things up initially and there were other issues so I reinstalled Vista after a disk format and everything just worked with no issues after that.

Look at Ccleaner, it has uninstall facilities and registry error facility, don't forget you will probably need to reboot after installing the drivers in XP.

Well im going in then, millionth time lucky...

The Your uninstaller removed registry items and ive also been through it manaully for qhy5

EDIT:

Installed the first driver listed, rebooted, plugged camera on, beeps, shows as unknown device in device manager, said to find driver and not connect to the internet and get the same message "The Hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software"

Installed 2 driver set (without removing the first) and just rebooted... nope same message, cant find the necessary software

Also tried 3 different usb ports and two different usb cables.

Im all out.

Just a quick thought, is WINUSB.dll in your windows/system32 directory? A quick google reveals it is not on XP by default but is under Vista. If it is there it may need registering, if not you will need to download it from somewhere and register it in the System32 directory.

Okay, trying to remember about installing hardware on XP, I am sure when it asks for location of drivers you get the opportunity to point to the drivers, otherwise it just looks in the system32 directory and if there is no INF file it says driver not found.

Check this location to see if you have a folder with the QHY5.inf file in it

C:\Program Files\QHYCCD\QHY5_Drivers\driver

Then plug it in, under device manager go to the unknown hardware, properties then driver tab, update driver and browse to that location hit okay and see if that works.

Its not asking me for it anymore but i will look.

How do i register it in the system32 directory?

If you google "register DLL" lots of explanations, I just tried to reregister it but it didn't want to know lol, came up with an error, I am no computer expert just self taught so getting into areas that are bit grey for me :)

Try the browse to driver thing if you hadn't already, don't let the computer try and find it.

Nope dont have winusb.dll installed on the computer (searched C drive)

What you suggest is what i have done, point to the exact directory (not checked again, but it did contain an inf file), plug in select the location, click next and get the message :

"The Hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software"

Just done a restore on the netbook but got to go out now back this afternoon, really appreciate everyones help.

Leaning towards it being defective at this point since it wont see the drivers at all

I have just done an install on a new XP netbook, to find drivers that work....

1. Downloaded and installed PHD

2. Downloaded QHY5Drv 1024 - from here - QHY5Drv1024.exe

3. Plugged in QHY5 and it installed QHY Base Driver (1024) then QHY5 IO Driver

4. Run PHD and select the CCD Labs Q-Guider, click Loop and away you go......with luck!

I just did an install of the drivers on an old XP machine, winusb.dll was not in the system32 directory until I installed the drivers then it was.

Make sure XP is upto date I guess, using service pack 3 here.

Run QHY5.exe then plug in the QHY5, shows me the below in Device manager then right click on the device and select update drivers don't allow it to connect to the internet, install from list or specific location, Don't search I will choose the driver to install, hitting next brings up the QHY5 in a list of hardware, selecting that and carrying on installed the drivers, its now listed in Device manager as QHY5 under Astro imaging equipment.

Don't know what else to say apart from get XP updated and service packs installed. Seems Martin has installed using a different driver and it works.

Did you run the firmware update? If so that may not have gone well and could be a corrupt ROM on the QHY5 which is the bit which identifies itself to Windows as an USB imaging device.

post-19347-133877483498_thumb.jpg

Well tried a combination of those (installed the QHY5Drv.exe), went into device manager and picked, dont search i will choose, compiled the complete list (it was only showing known devices) and QHY5 is nowhere to be seen. Pushed back, and back, went to specify location, navigated to the QHY5 folder in programme files and get the same message as before

"The Hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software"

Kind of stuck for ideas what to do now. Didnt update the firmware as cant even see the camera (well it does appear in device manager)

will investigate the inf next as i have a feeling the PID/VID number isnt listed in the drivers, hence it cant install a driver for it.

Archived