Help me spend my money pretty quickly

I've pretty much come to a decision on which mount/scope/camera that I want to buy to start imaging with : HEQ5 (or NEQ6) + Equinox 80 (80mm F6.2) + Canon 1000D (or 500D). I may drive past FLO tomorrow as I live that way - if I do, I might be tempted to just walk inside....

However, although I want it for imagin, I am sure that I will also occasionally want to take a peek with it, as will my daughter, and I am likely to buy another scope at some point in future for visual use as well.

So what EPs should I buy (so I can look at the moon, planets, and wide angle)? The begginer sticky would suggest that I buy Plossl EPs in sizes:

9mm

22mm

31mm

x2 Barlow

I would rather buy a high quality EP right from the beginning, that I will keep for many years, rather than continually trade up. If I bought something more expensive (with a wider FOV), would I need different sizes?

Would I be better getting very high quality ones at a particular end of the range and cheaper ones at the other? Which ones should I buy in 2" versions rather than 1.25" and which would make no difference?

Are all 2" Barlows made equal (or is an expensive one better)? How about a 2" Star Diagonal - what gives the best price/performance ratio?

Last question - what about a finder scope? Would I be best off with a red dot or a mini scope?

You haven't listed a field flattener, which you will need if using the big chip of a DSLR.

EPs. Hmmm... planetary or deep sky? If playing to the strengths of a small apo I would go for something to show the clusters in all their sparkling glory. I have a number of TeleVue EPs and none will ever be going up for sale before I need to pay the undertaker. In fact I just bought another from Ben this morning. Something that would give you a wide-ish field and Barlow down to planetary-ish would maybe do it.

I would not spend a bomb on a Barlow. My Celestron 2x apo has been going strong for 15 years.

Are TeleVues worth it? I have just done a back to back with a Swan and yes they are, very certainly. I've tried all sorts and am firmly TV though others won't agree, necessarily. What are forums for??

Olly

Archived