Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IR camera in obs: bad idea?

Euan

Hello peoples

I have an IR filter removed webcam in the obs, with an IR blaster to light the place up in darkness

While this is really handy and is piece of mind while watching the kit work away, is it really a good idea to have the whole lot bathed in IR?

I'm a bit worried I may be unintentionally affecting something imaging wise, although I haven't actually tried it with and without

4996868482_b256a221f6_z.jpg

Typically these IR LEDs are emitting at about 850nm -- well within the sensitivity range of a CCD. BVR/Ha filters etc will probably block most of this light of course.

Just take two exposures back-to-back; one with the lights on, one with the lights off. That will tell you if it is a problem. I'd do that for all the filters, just to check if any of them have a red-leak which might let some of the LED light through.

I've ended up just turning it off, due to the street lights it actually manages to still show the scope (but only just)

I can just make out passing cloud as well now which is quite useful

Archived