SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Andromeda & M110:

yeti monster

Finally a return to the EP last night and my only planned targets being Jupiter, Uranus and Andromeda Galaxy.

After Jupiter and a rather faint Uranus I slewed round to andromeda, who I could just make out with unaided MKIs.

Using the 20mm EP the fuzzy oval soon started to spread across the FOV as I moved my vision around the outer edge avoiding the central core as much as I could.

With the extremities (or what the scope could offer) of the galaxy becoming defined I could then look at the entire spectacle and, for the first time this trip, feel that I'd had a (nocturnal) success.

Below and to the left (in the FOV) I could clearly make out M110 which I hadn't ever noticed before, so another Messier scratched from the list, and to see the two galaxies in the same FOV was even more humbling than just appreciating Andromeda.

I must have spent more than 20 minutes on the targets, trading EPs to bracket the limits. Considering that there was a lot of humidity from the heat of the Western Pacific drifting across, I'm really pleased with the view I had.

Regular flashes to the south heralded a thunder storm, and as clouds started to obsure the heavens, I tried to watch the storm through the scope, but to no avail.

Packing up, I decided to try for Mercury in the wee small hours, weather permitting.

I didn't notice M32, I only noticed M110 because I was deliberatly avoiding looking at M31. I soon realised that I found something new (for me) and had to check on stellarium once I'd gone back to my cabin. I'll study the area and try to spot M32 next time out, hopefully tonight as the sky looks good. Been practicing spotting Venus in daylight again, I'm getting quite good at it....... hope I can still do it at home with the 10" SNT.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived