HELP ???

hi guys i have 127 mak nexstar, got 25mm eyepice on, finnaly got jupiter in sights, but the planet looks like a little dot other stars look brighter tonight, please help, awfully confused beginner in blackpool.

regards graham

Even with a 25mm eyepiece Jupiter should look like a small disk with 3 or 4 small moons around it? Are you sure your actually looking at Jupiter and not just a star? All stars are still points of light in a scope, where as planets are nearly always resolved to a clear disk shape, even if there is no detail.

Even with a 25mm you should see Jupiter as a definate disk with up to 4 moons strung out, a bit like this:

. . O . .

Ok moons will be in different positions and will be in lin with the planets equator but you get the idea !

You should also be able to see the main cloud belt across the planets disk.

If none of the above, perhaps i) things are not in focus - try the full range of focus but slowly or ii) it's not Jupiter perhaps ?.

John

Do you mean the other stars look brighter to the naked eye than Jupiter looks through the scope?

Assuming Jupiter is not masked by cloud, it is by FAR the brightest thing in the sky. Nothing else comes close. If you were looking at something which wasn't at least 10 times as bright as anything else - it wasn't Jupiter.

The telescope you're using is not relevant. I suspect you were looking through the scope at something else. Train it on the big BRIGHT spot in the SouthEast at midnight and that is Jupiter. It rises due East as the sun sets soon after 8 p.m.

Steve

ok guys, yes it was a moon i was looking at, it was a lot clearer now, till yes cloud, so she is tracking now, i hope re aligned her, for next break, i got a disc shape with a almost vertical line down it, should i try a 15mm eyepiece next??

if it ham radio via space i can do it no problem, this is a big learning curve.

thank you for quick response.

graham

Once you have it in the eyepiece change over to a higher power eyepiece and you should be able to see the belt and maybe the red spot!

I've just been outside and Jupiter is certainly the brightest object in the sky,

post-19590-133877480635_thumb.jpg

hi guys again, enjoyable night gazing, i saw a moon very close to bottom right. and could see horizontal lines across it, tried different eyepiece but not used to it yet, thought i had it alingend but lost jupiter then, so back to drawing board read manual again and make shure she is level.

but enjoyed myself all the same, maybe find out any star parties in my area, and see if i can join in.

good night all

clear skies graham in blackpool.:blob10:

hi guys again, enjoyable night gazing, i saw a moon very close to bottom right. and could see horizontal lines across it, tried different eyepiece but not used to it yet, thought i had it alingend but lost jupiter then, so back to drawing board read manual again and make shure she is level.

but enjoyed myself all the same, maybe find out any star parties in my area, and see if i can join in.

good night all

clear skies graham in blackpool.:blob10:

You're doing great mate !

It does all take some getting used to but you seem to be getting the hang of it just fine :)

Keep asking the questions though - it's good to share :hello2:

Hi and welcome,

The learning is part of the fun of the hobby. Sounds like you are doing great and will be able to zero in on any target in no time. I love looking at Jupiter but can't wait for Saturn to come back around again.

If you haven't seen it already, you're in for a treat although I think we are looking at around Jan/Feb before we can get some quality views. If anyone knows different, please let me know because it's so long to wait.

Archived