Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First ever non-Messier NGC's!

badgerchap

Just found my first ever NGC objects not on Charles Messier's list. Randomly had a pop at NGC 6934 to start (globular) and found it as easy as pie! Then, whilst looking for M72 & 73, accidentally stumbled across NGC 7009, the Saturn Nebula. That really was a cracker! Really pleased with the nebula, had a definite blue colour and was really well defined at 208x mag. Originally spotted it at 32x but thought it was a distant globular, hoping for M72. Absolutely chuffed to bits with this!

Fun when you stumble upon these things, I had the other night with NGC 6712 while hopping from M11 to M26

I like the Saturn nebula too, much more interesting than the nearby M73 - an asterism so dull that O'Meara is reduced to sketching a picture of a rocketship.

I'm not sure if I saw the ansea or not - if I did, they were very faint. I can only get 208x on my dob at the mo, could do with a 3.7mm eyepiece for the saturn nebula I think - my focal length is 1250mm so that would give me (calculates feverishly) 337x. Anyone reckon the neb would hold up at that mag?

Archived