Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GRS

pvaz

I finally got my 1st clear view of the Great Red Spot.

Over the past few nights the weather was great and I was able to spend some time observing Jupiter. The GRS was hard to see at 1st probably because I had never seen it and it's not as obvious as in the pictures. Stellarium told me where to look and once I could identify it, it was easily observed. On the best night I could also see about 5/6 thin bands and a large feature on the main band. At 1st I mistaken it for the GRS but it's about 1/2 or 1/3 the size and much darker. Probably a large festoon, or something.

The 5mm baader ortho gave me the sharpest, contrasty views.

Most of the time my Ethos 10 + big barlow seam as sharp as the baader ortho 5mm but on Jupiter there was a subtle, but easily detectable, difference. I'm considering the option to get a full set of this nice orthos as they give me the best detail, although they're not very comfortable to use.

I also found the TH ortho's much better to use then the 4 or 7 Uwan on Jupiter. I agree not very comfy but the contrast and quality in the view is better.

The GRS is not as colourful or distinct as photo's show it to be, but with prolonged observing alot of detail can be made out in and around the belts.

Archived