NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Globular Clusters in Ophiuchus

Aussie Observer

Even though the seeing wasn't that good (there was a lot of sky glow) I still managed to observe 14 globular clusters in Ophiuchus with my Skywatcher 102 mak. These ranged in brightness from 5.7 mag M62 to 9.8 mag NGC 6342. Some were just resolvable, some were faint indications using averted vision, others were fuzzy blobs. The remaining six will have to wait for a dark sky event and a larger scope.

Objects observed: M9, M10, M12, M14, M19, M62, M107, NGC 6284, NGC 6287, NGC 6316, NGC 6304, NGC 6342, NGC 6356, NGC 6293.

Ophiuchus is almost directly overhead at the moment here in Australia.

Well done ! I spent some time many years ago tracking down globs in this area with a 6" f/6 reflector. This was a very satisfying experience. I had a quick look at NGC6397 in Ara last night with my 4" refractor. What an interesting looking globular I must check it out from a dark sky site with my 6" frac.

Excellent! Ophiuchus overhead with all those globulars must be awesome. I've sketched M9 and M14 earlier in the year in my 12". M14 was really quite special - much larger with a smattering of stars resolved. For me they are best placed in May - July.

Archived