NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meteor (?) Over Cardiff

_SBradley_

Hi guys,

I was just walking home, when I saw a very bright red light moving across the sky. My dad, for a moment, thought it was a plane -- but it wasn't going in a straight line! It was red, like fire. And, after a minute or so, it faded and disappeared.

Did I see a meteor? I've watched meteor showers before, but I've never seen anything this bright or impressive. Any info or speculation on what I've seen would be greatly appreciated! :o

Cheers,

Simon

Fits the description of a chinese lanturn perfectly me thinks.

Interesting idea! I didn't think of that one, I must admit.

Did it look as if it was travelling about 25,000 MPH????

No, it wasn't going anywhere near that speed. It wasn't exactly slow, but, estimating its altitude at roughly "aeroplane height", I'd say it was travelling somewhere in the hundreds of miles per hour. (Out of interest, what travels at 25k mph? Oh, the ISS? It definitely wasn't that: it was fire-red, "bigger", and it didn't move in a completely straight line.)

Discussing it with my dad the other night, we thought it might have been a bit of space junk burning up in the atmosphere. It certainly did get more "wiggly" towards the end of its existence (assuming it burned up completely shortly after it became invisible to us).

Archived