Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Playing with Jupiter and Uranus

MarkF

Nothing special about these images to anyone except me, only the 2nd night of imaging and with the moon up I wondered if I could capture an image of these two with my Atik 16ic. It was late I was tired and I really couldn't go to the effort of messing around with my QHY5, that can wait until Jupiter is in a better position at a reasonable hour for me.

So unlike all these lovely colour images these are single shot very small mono images, I was hoping for some of the moons of Uranus but I was having a problem guiding at this point so could only manage a 60 sec exp.

First one is a 10 sec exposure for the moons then placed a 0.2 sec exp of the actual planet and was surprised to make out a dark band. Looking forward to getting a crack at this with the QHY5 in the Autumn.

Second is a 60 sec exp of Uranus, I had my doubts if I had captured it but checking the star patterns around it confirmed it, I also took a 60 sec HA exposure which revealed only the planet so was happy it was there.

Both correctly oriented in PS (I think!!)

All through a Equinox ED80 no barlow or anything just my DSO setup. It was purely for an experiment and playing with the equipment and software.

But I am very happy to have seen Uranus for the first time, even if it was through a camera.

post-19347-133877476899_thumb.jpg

post-19347-133877476902_thumb.jpg

Archived