NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I cant actually use my scope

Ive had it about 6 months now and I have always just pointed it straight at objects using the latitude screw for elevation. I polar aligned the other night and tried using the equatorial system properly but I just dont get it. The eyepiece is sometimes facing the ground and sometimes facing the sky and the the OTA keeps getting stuck on the slow motion controls and Im on my hands and knees trying to see objects. I checked out videos online and it looks like Im doing everything right so why is it so uncomfortable to view using this method?

Hi Phil - all you have to do is stand behind the scope so it doesn't slip off the mount - loosen the tube rings till it turns in them - and bring the ep round to a comfortable position and tighten up again.

Hope that helps ;)

So this has to be done pretty much every time you select a new object to view? I thought I was doing something wrong but it turns out this is how the system works? I dont feel like such a plonker now ;) As for the slow motion controls, I assume mine are getting in the way because they are so short and stiff (only about 6") as opposed to the ones in pics that are a foot or even longer and very droopy?

A good trick is to plan a series of objects accross the sky - each one near to the previous one - so you don't have to move it round in the rings very much at a time.

The scope shouldn't be fouling the slow mo controls - if they do then you might want to try attaching one or both to the opposite side of the axis that's getting in the way (they attach to either side of the axes). Once it's polar aligned - swing the scope over to the southern meridian and it should be clear where you want to attach the controls and orientate the ep ;)

Archived