300P DobCart with Go faster Stripes

Hi folks.

Having recently upgraded from an 8" SCT to a 300P Flex Tube Dob (non-auto), although I could manage lifting and carrying the scope in 2 pieces, I was worried that I was going to damage the scope (or my fingers!) when re-assembling it in the dark. So after much thought I came up with the following Dobcart.

It takes a bit of work but I thought it might be of use to anyone out there struggling with moving a massive sky-cannon around.

And wasn't the viewing good on Friday night and last night? Ok, the moon was a little over powering but really clear.

Also attached is a photo of the moon I took with my C905 camera phone on Friday night.

Clear skies all.

Dirk

post-19072-133877476496_thumb.jpg

post-19072-133877476503_thumb.jpg

post-19072-133877476511_thumb.jpg

That's a fantastic mod!!! Where did you get the materials, or did you buy the "cart"?

I did think along the same lines...but I have two steps to negotiate into the garden and have therefore invested in a sack truck. The problem is, I have to do two trips, the base then the tube.

I don't want to be hefting a heavy tube onto a base when it's minus temps in the winter! (difficult to get a grip wearing gloves!)

I was wondering it it was possible to saw off the right hand side of the circular base to form a flat side where the entire scope will easily fit onto the sack truck. Granted, it will effect resale, but I don't think I'm going to let this one go in a hurry. The exposed hardboard side will be treated with a protective material against the elements.

Thank you Beulah/Sam.

I had a step issue, a 5 inch one stepping down from out of the shed, so I built a ramp. I originally bought a long toe sack truck, but when trying to move the whole scope assembled there was just too much lateral movement of the scope when I was setting it back down on the ground and I was worried about collimation and long term damage.

I think with all of these things it's whatever works for your own circumstances. I was also very lucky in as much as I built the trolley outside on a nice day, checking carefully that it would fit through the doors of my shed, but never once checking that there was space for the doors to close once it was in there! ;) Thankfully I ended up with about an inch and a half clearance. :mad:

I was wondering it it was possible to saw off the right hand side of the circular base to form a flat side where the entire scope will easily fit onto the sack truck. Granted, it will effect resale, but I don't think I'm going to let this one go in a hurry. The exposed hardboard side will be treated with a protective material against the elements.

I've just done it and it works a treat, wheeled it around my garden for a bit ;) I've even managed to pull off the black rubber protective strip from the waste and epoxy it onto the freshly sawn edges..

Archived