NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

An earlier Jupiter

geoff_k

Actually about 1.30 pm although it is probably at its best for me an hour later.

Unfortunately, the clouds rolled in so these will have to do for now. Would have liked Jupiter to be better placed but if you wait for that sort of thing in this fair land you will never get any images.

Europa 250mm with ATIK webcam and IR filter. Tried 4 x Imagemate but no joy so the first two are with a 3 x Barlow and the last with a 2x.

post-13129-133877474144_thumb.jpg

post-13129-133877474147_thumb.jpg

post-13129-13387747415_thumb.jpg

It's actually an ATIK 1C-II which is essentially a long-exposure webcam. A bit like a Toucam (which I also have) but with an air-cooling system.

It means that I can use it for both planetary and DSO imaging. Can't say I do much of the latter as there are better cameras for that. Having been a bit unwell in recent months I have also restricted my astronomical activities and haven't really felt like spending the extra time needed for DSO imaging.

I bought it from Bern at Modern Astronomy a few years back but like the Toucam they are probably only available on places like E-Bay nowadays.

I use the Toucam for lunar and solar work as the ATIK seems to be more suited for planetary. If I had the cash I might buy 'better' cameras but they both work well enough for now.

Geoff

Archived