NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wot scope?

I'm sure this has been discussed time and again but.. I'm in this for a bit of fun, limited budget etc. I have a good german mount, very sturdy but could do with stiffer legs which are being scrounged so I'm looking for an OTA. 50:50 observing, imaging. I have two on the list. Explorer 150PL and the Evostar 120. I know the PL is nice because I had a chance to play with one and I know most will say get the PL. But.. I like refracters. They are enclosed and give some protection to the sensor from moisture, insects etc in the £400 camera thats going to hang on it. Their a bit more good to go and a bit less fiddling around in the long run. BTW It'll be mostly used for planets and lunar. Some reviewers are offended by the CA, is it really that bad if you're not looking for it?

Tom

Tom, I'm a reflector guy and my gut instinct would be to say go for the PL but I have an EvoStar 120, which I use as a guider scope most of the time. Yes you get CA (I think you're right - when you're looking for it) and in my opinion it's a really good for the price and is a well made, scope with nice crisp views. Makes me want to buy another refractor...maybe. :D

I hope this helps.

Mark

Thanks for the reply and value the advice. I like the PL very much (and it's £75ish cheaper, which is nearly enough for an ad on crayford). Just trying to weigh things up, protection for the camera etc etc. Is it important for the hour a week I'll be lucky to get? Probably spent a years worth of viewing comparing them on the internet. Decisions decisions when I could be outside viewing if it wasn't rodding down;-)

Tom

FLO have the 150pds for £180, dual crayford, seems like a lot of scope for the money but is 750mm a bit too short for the planets? I'mnot sure, currently have 6.5, 12.5 and 25 super pl. Don't think it comes with a barlow though. Tom

Archived