NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quick Observing session on the 18th Isle of Sheppy

lunator

I had a quick one hour observing session with the Lidl 10x50's

Between 10 & 11pm last night.

The Moon was low in the South West. I started with the Moon as it would soon be setting. I don;t usually look at the Moon through Binos and it was interesting to see. I am no expert on the Moon but I believe I could see Clavius quite clearly. It was certainly a large bright crater close to the terminator :) I will have to double check this when I get home.

As the caravan park was to the South, I decided to focus on East & North over Thames Estuary & North Sea.

Had a look at Jupiter low in the South East and could see one moon.

It was at this point the transparency improved and despite the light from the site I could clearly see the Milky Way through Cygnus/Cephus down to the North East. The rift in Cygnus was clear to see.

Had a quick look at Beta Cyg. It can just be split in the 10x50's. Fantastic as ever :)

I decided to sweep up and down the Milky Way and it was good just seeing the multitude of stars :hello2:. As I was wandering through Cephus a came across a very small cluster which when I checked later is classified as otto Struve 461.

During the session I had seen about half a dozen satellites and dozens of planes, a couple of chinese laterns and a couple of meteors. The highlight was a late perseid that was bright (mag1) and had a yellow train.

One thing that did catch my attention was whilst I was and apparent brightening of 58 Peg. I was just moving across the view when it appeard to flash. It wasn't an aircraft or satellite as nothing was apparent after the flash. I can only assume that my eyes were playing tricks :hello2: .

I finished the seesion with a look at M31, and the double cluster.

All in all a very nice hour's view :p

Cheers

Ian

Archived