NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Five Hrs Viewing

Herakles

From 2200Hrs until 0300Hrs I had the chance to do some visual stuff.

Equipment

Celestron 80mm ED

EQ5P

8-24 Baader Zoom

Set up the EQ5P , PA'd it , aligned two stars. Good to go. There was no real order to where I was sending the scope, more a test of its Goto success. It put targets in the FOV but not slap bang in the center , need to tighten that up. Anyway , here's a list of what I saw. Sky conditions were not brilliant most of the time , although there were no clouds as such , the seeing was half decent but from my garden there are two street lights that need seeing to !

Messiers bagged.

M31 ( couldn't make out M32/M110 , washed out by M31 in the wee fract' )

M29

M39

M2 ( very very faint )

M15 ( again very feint )

M34

M57

M27

Had a look at NGC869 ( The Double Cluster ) , always nice to see in WF view.

Decided to have a look at some doubles as well .

Albireo, beautiful as always

17 Cygnus

Polaris ( companion very dim beside it)

Nu Dra , absolutely gorgeous , like 2 yellow cats eyes looking back at you !

Eta Cas , yellow, comp' very dim

Epislon Peg, bright yellow , dim comp'

Epison Lyr , both similar size , both white , noticed a really smaller dimmer star between them(nearer E2) ,not able to see eachs other comp' probs due to small aperture , or seeing ?

61 Cyg , both very similar , both yellow

Zeta Lyr , both looked white,comp' smaller

Delta Cep, yellow with smaller blue comp'

Almach , hard to make out for me , possibly still low in the murk , need to return later on to it in winter skies.

Had to have a look at Jupiter , usual four Moons showing , Io very close. I then thought have a try at Uranus. dialled it in , bingo ( my first sight of it actually ) , it's teeny , small blue dot , sitting all alone in the dark around it.

All in all an amazing night , esp' for the Doubles . Think I will be doing these a lot more . Was good using the 8-24, able to start at 24 and zoom down to 8mm. First really good night of observing from my garden since about March .

I will need to definately sort out light spill from a neighbours front door light . Maybe have a word with them, its always on through the night, no real need for that TBH. If no joy with them ,then I will construct a light screen to block it out. There are two other street lights ( the orange type ) that can be blocked out from the garden with a little work with a screen as well.

Also was nice just to observe without imaging , I heartily recommend this ( as I have before ) to all who image .

Really connects you again to why you first got into this hobby.

Really looking forward to Darker nights coming in now.

Clear Skies

Pete

Well done Pete, and congratulations on your first sighting of Uranus! :)

Might your neighbors agree to your purchasing a motion detector for their light and having it installed? They'd retain their feeling of security, and you'd have one less light to avoid. :)

Archived