Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Garrett 100mm Binoculars

Doc

I've not had any experience of these, Doc. I had a poor experience with a pair of Helios Quantum 6 and ended up rejecting two pairs. The first could not achieve focus in one eyepiece and the second was not colimated.

I therefore ordered a pair of APM 100mm binos and first used them in anger at the SSP. They are very good, stars sharp until the last 10-20% ish of the field, good eye relief and reasonably light making them easy to mount. Have you seen the thread here: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/111178-big-bins-under-ssp-skies.html?

The Garrets in your link do look extremely similar to the APMs but white. One can assume that they come out of the same factory in China before being branded and distributed.

Sorry I could not help you in answering your question specifically but I can recommend the APMs.

Mark

What do you guys think of these binoculars.

http://www.garrettoptical.com/Garrett-100mm-Binocular-Telescope-p/gt100-45.htm

They are Garrett 100mm 45° degree ones, with a heavy duty mount and tripod.

Any comments ggod and bad please

Hello Doc,

I have had my Garrett 100/45° for upwards of 18 months now. My pair are very good indeed. From other users that have had these there seemed to be quite a few that were returned due to quality control. I think I was one of the lucky ones.

Mine do have a full 100mm aperture,others have had anything from 92mm upwards.The latest measurements for the new 90° seem to be around 88mm :)

Mine do suffer a little from a ghost image in the left tube. I only found this out when viewing Venus last year.I know Venus is not a easy target for fast achro optics,but it was a little fun to be had. It is not troublesome observing other bright objects.

The CA is there alright,but it not that bad really. I bought my pair for open clusters.

I have tried other eyepieces with the Garretts. My pair have the 'O' ring fitting not the new twist lock system. The 'O'ring type is a bit of a pain with undercut eyepieces.You can of course use a little tape to fill in the undercut although the twist lock system should take care of that.

Brandons are a very good fit.

WO UWAN's are slightly loose.

Ortho's are a loose fit.

EF eyepices are a loose fit.

TV Plossl's are a loose fit.

The 2 pairs of eyepieces that came with mine are pretty good and well matched to the binocular.

The tripod is getting good reports in the States.

I use a Manfrotto 028 and 503 HDV head for mine.

If I can be of anymore help,just let me know.

Clear Skies.

Glen.

Archived