Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nothing but Blobs

robindurant

I have been fairly sucessfull in imaging the Messiers 27, 57 & 82 together with clusters but have had no luck with M 31. The image below is 20 subs @ 45 secs on a clear night with the messiier at approx. 45o. I processed it on Elements3 but all I can get is a blob. I have tried 3 times now at other number of seconds with the same result, a blob. Every one was taken with my Canon 350D via my 8i on Prime Focus. ISO 1600. Can anyone help.

Robin

image.jpg[/url

The problem here is image scale. You've only imaged the central portion of the galaxy, not the extents, so it appears as a blob. Since M31 is several times the diameter as the full Moon, you may not be able to image it whole.

Take a look at this image closely. http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/index.php?topic=7710.msg83287#msg83287 You can see the pattern of stars around your image very close to the center core of the galaxy.

Robin

I agree with AM.

Your 8i is has a 2032 mm focal length.

I imaged M31 earlier in the year with my TAL at prime focus with the 350D

The Tal has a 1125mm focal length and I still didn't get the extent of M31.

It takes my Revelation 80ED at 550 mm focal length to easily get M31 at prime focus.

Even a focal reducer on your 8i wouldn't help.

That's why a lot of SGL members have a second, smaller, refractor in the 450mm to 700mm range.

I presume you stacked the images before processing in PS ?

MD

Archived