Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

sketch orientation

Llamanaut

Im practising sketches and the finishing touch will be the orientation. My newtonians view is upside down and back to front while the refractor is just back to front (canted over approx 40% for the eq view).... which way round should the east go on the sketch?

Is it east facing the target as you see it naked eye or is it from the target facing you (opposite to terrestrial view)???

:p

For a reflector:

To work out orientation you need to let the object you're looking at drift across your field of view. The path it takes defines your East-West points. It drifts in from the East (following) and out to the West (preceding). North is then at right angles to the E-W line, but pointing towards the bottom of your field of view. South is at right angles to the E-W line in the opposite direction to North.

Hope that helps

I'm directionally-challenged :p so i just check my astro program the next day and mark 2 compass points on the sketch. After scanning, i flip/rotate the sketch as needed, in order to match the north/up east/left orientation seen naked-eye and shown on charts.

For a reflector:

To work out orientation you need to let the object you're looking at drift across your field of view. The path it takes defines your East-West points. It drifts in from the East (following) and out to the West (preceding). North is then at right angles to the E-W line, but pointing towards the bottom of your field of view. South is at right angles to the E-W line in the opposite direction to North.

Hope that helps

Yep thats just what i need! Thanks! :p

Archived