Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik 314L+ and Explorer 200p unguided?

If I were to invest in an Atik 314L+ to use on my 200p Newt and EQ5, could I get away with shortish exposures without guiding? Or am I really only going to get reasonable results by using a guidescope as well?

I'm trying to pare down my wishlist to match my disposable income :)

Buying the guidescope is not so much the issue as maybe investing in an HEQ5 or even an EQ6 to cope with the additional load. From what others on SGL have advised me, I believe that adding a small guidescope + cameras etc to my 200p would very likely overload my EQ5.

What I don't want to do is buy the camera only to find at that time that I need to spend a whole lot more!

Any thoughts welcome.

Tell you the truth, I think you need to look at your Mount & Focal length of your scope 1st before deciding what gear you want to image with.

With your focal length, I would upgrade the mount to something like a HEQ5 Pro/Syntrek or a EQ6 Pro/SynScan.

Nadeem.

Red Dot Finder a very lightweight zero mag 1x finder that "superimposes" a red dot onto the sky...

Peter...

Ahhh, I'm with you now :)

So it looks like even if I were to use something lightweight like a finderguider, I'd probably be better off going for a more capable mount first, where I could simply use a conventional guidescope. An ST80 is what I was originally thinking in terms of.

Archived