Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

silly question?

just thinking aloud here me old playmates... re VLF would the reciever on a metal detector be any use for playing with ? Im not sure on the frequencys they use or the power of them but just thought would just the reciever off a detector be of any use...

I can take it if im talking wrap just tell me im stupid....LOL :mad:

ohhhh... OK me old playmates ..that seems to answer that one... I dont seem to have much luck on here with any posts I make .. let me just check me old translator clacker valve on the mothership perhaps I have it set to wrong planet..... no all set ok ...lets try this one....

Any of you using or played with Spectrum Lab ... if yes did you get much out of it or have you put it back in the " play latter box! "

cheers

Stu ( old mutant Alien form planet Jingo)

ohhhh... OK me old playmates ..that seems to answer that one... I dont seem to have much luck on here with any posts I make .. let me just check me old translator clacker valve on the mothership perhaps I have it set to wrong planet..... no all set ok ...lets try this one....

Any of you using or played with Spectrum Lab ... if yes did you get much out of it or have you put it back in the " play latter box! "

cheers

Stu ( old mutant Alien form planet Jingo)

Spectrum lab works really well for me doing meteor or auroral obs via radio. It is a bit tricky to set up, but there's no shortage of info on the web. You can try the homepage for help,or there's a spectrum lab yahoo group. The SGL radio orientated posters have been very helpful to me. I still haven't mastered the art of getting the thing to work as a fully automated system for recording and logging, but I found that playing around with the many functions soon gave me perfecly satisfying results. It also depends on what you want to do with it. I'm used to generating nice squiggly line pen recorder type results from my magnetometer, but this wouldn't work so well if I used speclab. On the other hand, I tried radio skypipe and speclab together on meteors, and found them both easily readable. Don't put this software on the shelf- it is a very good bit of freeware!

Thanks Tony ...I will give it another go .. just find the whole thing intersesting ...what anttena do you use ...I think most of my probs stem from that..

is a loop worth trying?

many thanks for getting back to me

cheers

stu

Thanks Tony ...I will give it another go .. just find the whole thing intersesting ...what anttena do you use ...I think most of my probs stem from that..

is a loop worth trying?

many thanks for getting back to me

cheers

stu

Have a look at my eta aquarids thread, just down from yours. That explains my set up for meteor listening as far as the hardware goes. There are also other very useful threads regarding meteor logging. You really should check out Andy Smith's website. He's really got it nailed down. Regards, Tony

interesting stuff Tony ...I have just found a sid.usr file that I did not know was with the software... I am right ( i HOPE) this file once imported could be used for cme and flares ?

cheers

stu

interesting stuff Tony ...I have just found a sid.usr file that I did not know was with the software... I am right ( i HOPE) this file once imported could be used for cme and flares ?

cheers

stu

Should work, but beware- I've found over the years that regardless of how someone explains a circuit or lists a computer program, it nearly always wants tweaking to suit the individual setup. I think this is where radio astronomy for many gets completely bogged down- you really need to understand the actual workings of the equipment in order to be able to get it all working properly. I've never had any success with SID detection and I blame it entirely on my lack of understanding of why exactly the detector detects! I'm not much of a programmer either, so for the moment my speclab records by manual screencap only.

ahhhh ... thats why now I regret not sitting ham licence used 934 mhz and skip on 28 and lots of shortwave listening but never pushed myself further...mainly because of cliques and too much "I got this and it's better than yours" ... shame i did enjoy playing around with anttenas and learning theory ...but just moved on to other things... music then photography....

now astronomy has taken hold..... the bug has always been with me but never to the degree it has bitten me now.... and me wallet!!!!!!

all good stuff and keeps ya mind on the go even if sometimes ya body dont want to play as it did years ago....

take care

Stu

Archived