SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Been a bit busy

Keithp

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was a disasterous failure...:) note to self. Check the equipment in the observatory works when hooked up the same as the stuff you hooked up in the computer room!!!!

One good thing, I got all the scopes aligned, guider, main scope and both finder scopes all looking at the same star..hmm, just gotta sort the flippin software out now..

Clouds drawing in so not worth anything further tonight. Tomorrow looks like a wash out too, so hopefully I'll up date later this week when the weather picks up.

Mind... loved the fact that it took 10 mins from deciding not to go any further to sitting here with a stella.....observatories rule ok :-)

Regards

Keithp

• 2 months later...

Quick pointer for anyone following my method regarding the pier, the 450mm size tube will compromise the straight up view with the 250px. (or any 10" newt). I think I might be able to make a mod to allow for this but go for a 400mm tube.

Keeping it simple.

Regards All

Keithp

PS all other problems sorted though :-)

Quick pointer for anyone following my method regarding the pier, the 450mm size tube will compromise the straight up view with the 250px. (or any 10" newt). I think I might be able to make a mod to allow for this but go for a 400mm tube.

Hi Keith

I think you've just pre-empted my question!

Do you mean there is insufficient clearance between the OTA and the pier?

I have a length of similar width air-con tubing in the shed, patiently waiting for me to dig a big hole, and I'm wondering if there'll be enough pier-OTA clearance for my 10". I should point out that I haven't got a mount yet either, but have a EQ6 Pro on my wish list!

If this is a problem, I have a possible solution in mind - I also have a length of narrower air-con and have been considering putting this on top of the wider tube (tiered as in a wedding cake :)) to allow for OTA clearance.

Great observatory by the way - very inspirational!

Kev

Cheers for the compliments Kev.

I'm using an EQ6 mount.

Yes, when the scopes (2X) are balanced up the position of the 10" tube means the bottom of the tube just catches the edge of the mount. But that is my config, ie. the height of the mount on the adapter located in the pier. I could have had the adapter higher on the mount but I wanted to use the setup for imaging and didn't fancy the bolts being too long and allowing resonation, if you know what I mean. It may be possible in hind sight to have measured this with the scope on the tripod...never thought of that till now. Having seen and measured it I will take my sds drill + demolition saw and take off about a 1" diag slice from the top edge of the pier. It's very close...If I shove the scope up by half an inch it would clear but then the scopes/mount wouldn't be in balance.

Give me a shout if you need any more pointers.

Regards

Keithp

Archived