NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upgrading to GOTO and (possibly) Motor

Hi

I am very interested in buying a skywatcher explorer scope (size undecided at the moment). with an eq5 mount. At some stage in the future I will probably upgrade to GOTO. The original purchase I believe doesnt come with a motor (please correct me if I am wrong about this).

Link: Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5

So my question would be, does the motor etc come with the GOTO, or will I need to buy the GOTO and the motor seperately? Please be gentle with me if it turns out my question is more stupid than I realise, im trying to learn here!

Thanks

I don't know the eq5, but looking at the manual, it's referring to manual operation, so looks like it doesn't come with motors.

If you want to upgrade to goto, you'd need one of, which I believe comes with a full set of motors and the controllers etc.

Skywatcher - SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade Kit for EQ5

if you just wanted motor drives, one of

Skywatcher - Dual-Axis D.C. Motor Drive for EQ5

to go from motor drives (the second link) to goto, I think you need to replace the motor drives with the full goto setup.

As John says, if you want GOTO you will need to buy the full GOTO kit which includes GOTO compatible motors. If you are happy to just stay with motorisation of the axis than the dual axis kit is what you need.

Retro-fitting GOTO is not cheap as you can see although the price has come down a bit compared to when these kits 1st hit the market.

You are right that the scope as supplied is undriven. 8" is about the largest aperture that an EQ5 will take.

Archived