Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Modification to Finderscope to make Finder Guider

Hi there - I've done a fair amount of research into this since the clouds / rain moved in and have read a number of DIY threads and also been in touch with KW Telescope in Ontario re: their QHY5 KWIQ Guider.

Not being very good at DIY (understatement!) but obviously preferring to try and save a bit of cash, it would appear that all I need to get my hands (aside from the camera - I've set my sites on a QHY5v) is 2 things: a 9x50 finderscope and an adapter. The adapter I can get from KW ($40), but the question is how to attach it to the finderscope. The email I got from KW advised:

If your 9x50 has a 2" ID and roughly 6 threads/10mm it has the same thread pitch as the KWIQ Adapter. The other end of the adapter is 42mm male.
I've had a look at my Celestron 9x50 and I can unscrew the eyepiece end, but it certainly doesn't leave a 2" aperture. However, I've noticed that what the eyepiece screws into appears to be a plastic step-up plate which then attaches to the rest of the finder...

Now, I can't see if this also unscrews(?) and obviously don't want to force it (It's the only 9x50 finder I've got!), but from some of the DIY threads, I'm beginning to think that it probably doesn't and that this might be a hacksaw job... In which case if I went down that route, it would seem to imply that the KW adapter would be redundant but I'd need a 2"-1.5" adapter which then needs to be ground down to fit the finder... AND (so I've read), remove an extra c. 5mm from the finder in order to be able to bring the camera to focus... as well as then needing to make either a helical or securable sliding mechanism to adjust the focus...

If this IS the case, then it's a non-option for me (there's too many potentially destroy this and make that involved!), and I know I would then need to go to KW and buy a new finderscope and their adapter ($140). But if that step-up plate DOES unscrew AND has the correct thread then I'm laughing...

The ID of the finder is approx' 49mm ( 2") and the adapter should fit no probs, the QHY should then screw directly to the adapter.

The reason why I for instance had to cut the end of the finder was because of the extra depth/length added by the 2"-1.25" adapter !!

the adapter KW sell is shallow and doesn't present a prob with attaining focus .

If you have no DIY tools/skills etc your best option is to buy the adapter , and for $40C that's not bad :eek:

PS I've made two !

Cheers Beamish - So you're saying that literally all I have to do is unscrew the finder eyepiece, screw the KW adapter in its place and then attach the guidecam...?

(Sorry to be so thick, but with all the complications and complexities surrounding everything else in this hobby, this seems just too good to be true...!)

Sorry Beamish - I forgot to say thanks for that link... :eek:

That explains everything I need to know. I also managed to pick up a spare SW 9x50 finder for £20 (allegedly A1 optics?!) so I don't have to dismantle my existing one. All I need now is to order the adapter... oh, and the other minor item of the camera itself ;)

• 7 months later...

Archived