NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 300P DS

I attempted to image using my 300P on my NEQ6 using my dslr directy attached to the focuser.

I had no problem focusing the camera but I can tell you it was a real PITA with the single speed crayford. One touch of the focuser, a slight knock or a bit of breeze and the scope would wobble for a few seconds. I imagine the new dual speed will make life easier but the scope plus any imaging equipment was propably over the payload limit of the NEQ6 and most imagers say half the payload weight is best for imaging.

I had the camera setup with a wireless remote so when the focuser ended up in a position that only a contorsionist could use I didnt have to worry. Also if your camera has live view then using EOS utils on a laptop will make things easier as you will only have to adjust the focuser whilst looking at the laptop rather than having to get in behind the camera.

In the end I only used it for visual work until I had to sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the explorer 300P 12" on a concrete pier for imaging. I have the original version with single speed focuser, and I gather that the new version is better, having an upgraded focuser and allows use of a coma corrector.

I have found the scope to be really great with the NEQ6, and my images have been very sharp using autoguiding. I'm not sure I'd recommend it however if you are setting it up each night....That might spoil your fun a bit.

People have said that the whole setup is too heavy for imaging.....I disagree with that, but again I can perhaps only say because of my 12" concrete pier and wind protection (observatory).....not sure about tripod performance out in the open....perhaps it would be more of a challenge to get good images then. Hope this helps.

Archived