NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Astro Shots

Holliday

Well having been into photography for a few years now this is my first dabble in Astrophotography.

Both images were taken this morning at about 6:30 with some thin cloud passing by, the moon seemed quite tiny also.

This first image taken with my 400D, not a clue if I had it focused as my 400D lacks live view, so I ended up only taking 7 or so shots this was the only decent one.;

moon1.jpg?psid=1

And this being my first real lunar shot with my modified Lifecam HD. All stacked in Registax, quite tricky getting a decent amount of frames with no tracking, too much drift and Registax seems to just make it blurry, boy is the post processing hit and miss!

moon3.jpg?psid=1

Hope you enjoy ;)

The single frame looks good, although you can see how the cloud and bright sky has affected the image.

For a close up with a webcam, and no tracking, you've done really well. Nice job on the Processing.

When it comes to combat blurring in Registax.

Try setting 2 or 3 alignment points, instead of the default 1.

I'm not sure how it works yet to be quite honest. I'm not sure if it can stitch together a whole line of .bmp images going across the whole moon, or if the reference point needs to be in view in every frame, thus limiting me to only a little section each time.

I assume it'd be much easier for planets!

I'm not sure how it works yet to be quite honest. I'm not sure if it can stitch together a whole line of .bmp images going across the whole moon, or if the reference point needs to be in view in every frame, thus limiting me to only a little section each time.

I assume it'd be much easier for planets!

Yes every reference point needs to be in view of every frame, otherwise it will not be able to align.

Even selecting 3 reference points close together will help increase the accuracy of aligning, optimising and stacking.

With planets it's indeed easier, as you just need one reference. And that's the planet itself. ;)

Archived