Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mounting a WO Megrez 72FD

Hi all

I'm looking to mount a Meg 72mm for astrophotography with goto and tracking and have no idea what to get.

Alternatively, I had considered attaching it to my wedged CPC, but no idea how to do that or if it would serve purpose.

Any advice on either method would be gratefully received. Obviously the most cost effective the better so long as it does the job.

Thanks ;)

the good thing is your lil 72 is light enough for an HEQ5 PRO but what are you planning to guide with?

You need to add all of the weights, cameras, ota's, focal reducers etc to make sure your proposed mount is sufficient

unguided you will be doing well to get more than a minute or so without some star deformation unless your P/A is perfect and the PEC is unbelievably good

My 72 sits on top of my CPC800 using a rail and oversized 5" guide rings...

I counter balance it using weight on another rail underneath the OTA...

11848_large.jpeg

This lot sits on a wedge and pier in the obs... I did upgrade the Azm bearings and do some other work to the CPC...

Peter...

Peter - that setup looks impressive and I almost have all the kit to put it together. I'd be very interested to know what other work you did on the cpc. Also - do you find the cpc tracking good enough for LE shots? Is there a website with any examples of your photos? Also - how did you attach the rails to the cpc?

Cheers ;)

Rossco - thanks for the suggestion - I looked at the GEM mounts and they are pretty expensive - the HEQ's are a bt cheaper but having seen Peters setup, it may be a more cost effective way for me to go initially. I appreciate your advice though which I may well take up in future. Thank you.

Cheers ;)

Peter - that setup looks impressive and I almost have all the kit to put it together. I'd be very interested to know what other work you did on the cpc. Also - do you find the cpc tracking good enough for LE shots? Is there a website with any examples of your photos? Also - how did you attach the rails to the cpc?

Cheers ;)

Main"work" was...

Bearing upgrade... pretty essential once you start loading up the scope on a wedge...

http://www.nexstarsite.com/download/CPCHowToReplaceFactoryOriginalNylonAzimuthBearingBalls.pdf

Some Low-res photos

Picasa Web Albums - Psycho Billy - AK... - Published Ast...#

Picasa Web Albums - Psycho Billy - AK... - Signature "As...#

Astro Photography

Autoguided.. there no limit really .. I have done 60 min subs as test shots...

Mounting of the rails etc is via the various tapped holes in the rear and front cells...

My PA is within 2 arc mins in both axes.. i haevnt bothered to drift align as myu homemade wedge and pier doesnt make thsi the easiest job in the world...

Peter...

Thanks Peter - some very impressive pics you've got there. The horsehead and flame is definitely my favourite - I can see I've got a lot to look forward to, and a very steep learning curve. ;)

Archived