Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nirvana 4mm sharpness?

I received my first scope yesterday, a SW MN190,at last!! I bought a few EPs, and was rather disappointed with what I saw through the SW nirvana 4mm.:evil6: Compared to a TS Planetary 9mm that cost less than half the nirvana, Saturn appeared much sharper and with more detail (or as much at least) through the 9mm. How is this? Is it possible that the atmosphere wasn't up to it? Am I doing something wrong?:D

I have read in this forum that the maximum practical power for a 190/1000 telescope would be approximately 3.5mm or so. Would going to a 3 or 2mm eyepiece be to much for my scope?

Apart from this little disappointment I have to admit I am very happy with the scope, specially the views through the APM SWA 38mm eyepiece. Very wide, very bright, very sharp,.....in my inexperienced opinion it is outstanding!:p

I must also point out, as many of you already have said in various occasions, that a heq5 mount can't handle vibrations with the SW 190/1000 very well, even if it is a couple kilos under the mount's maximum load. Backlash is extremely evident, I'm going to have to adjust that as much as possible. Anybody know if a good heq5 stripdown manual is around?

Thanks for this great forum!

Saturn is low in the sky, and at low magnification (111x with the TS Planetary 9mm) the impression of sharpness should be better than at 250x with the 4mm. On my C8 I find the excellent TV Radian 8mm (also 250x) often does not give the sharp impressions now that it gave when Saturn was higher up, earlier in the year. I frequently switch to a more modest 14mm (142x) which gives better results at low elevations. Regarding magnification, more than 350x is rarely possible due to seeing, unless you go high up into the mountains.

Wait until Jupiter is high enough, then you will have loads of fun with your scope.

Cheers

Michael

Thank you Michael. I suppose I'll eventually get to know my eyepieces and ambient circumstances. That way I will know what to expect in each situation. Nevertheless, Saturn is beautiful! :D It was the first time I saw it (apart from photos:D).

Archived