Dual Bars...

In a few days I'm going to be getting the bits I need to put both my telescopes onto my EQ6. The telescopes are a Vixen 80M (which will be my guide scope) and my new SW MN190.

Originally, I was planning on a dual bar, but I understand that system can introduce extra wobbles and complications in keeping the rig tracking properly, etc.

So now I am considering mounting the Vixen atop the MN190 with guidescope rings, because I understand those rings give me more adjustment, and will allow me to point both scopes at the same target more easily, should I wish to.

However, I can't make out from photos what components are needed to accomplish this. Most people seem to have a dovetail both above and below their main scope (for stability of the main rings, I guess), but how does one then attach the second telescope to the top dovetail? Does the dovetail need to be longer?

Secondly, I have two Nikon lenses that I'd also like to use on my EQ6, sometimes with the telescope, sometimes on their own. How do I go about attaching an Arca Swiss dovetail saddle to the top of a Vixen dovetail bar? Most of the bars I've seen have holes in specific places, which would make attaching something with its own specific holes difficult.

Dual bars work very well. I have a 6" f3.5 Cometracker and a Genesis 4" f5 mounted side by side.

The top rail is usually an ADM minirail which has provision to mount tube rings. I don't know your 190MN so I'm not sure what size rail you would need.

Re the lenses - If the tripod head needs a 1/4" W attachment screw; this can be done by fitting a 1/4" x 20mm bolt through the existing holes in a small Vixen dovetail,.

Ken

(Edit) OK I've just found the Ad for the MN190...looking at the tube rings supplied they have the 1/4" W camera attachment holes at the top. You could get an ADM bar and drill the 6mm attachment holes out to 1/4" and then fit it directly to the top of the MN190 tube rings)

Thanks Ken. So there is no "official" solution? I don't mind drilling holes in things, but I didn't want to do it until I was sure that someone wasn't going to say "Oh Company X make something for that purpose".

How come all these telescopes come with a little 1/4W mount on the front ring? It is just for things like cameras? I assumed that, since all the pairs of rings come with them, that they were for piggybacking different scopes, since between two pairs of rings you'd always have a pair of the 1/4W screws.

Both rings are drilled and tapped 1/4"W, but only one (it can be positioned at the front ot back - just reverse the OTA!!:rolleyes:) has the camera attachment bolt. All SW rings are like this.

Having these two holes on the top of the rings is handy when you want to mount another rail.:)

( I have a set-up where the ST80+QHY5 sits piggyback on an ED80)

Both rings are drilled and tapped 1/4"W, but only one (it can be positioned at the front ot back - just reverse the OTA!!:rolleyes:) has the camera attachment bolt. All SW rings are like this...

lol I realise this, but the camera attachment is on the "front" ring when the scopes leave the factory.

Archived