NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

how to secure alt/az syncscan tripod leg screw

Hi all, I need some advice on how to I can secure the tripod leg on a Syncscan Alt/Az mount tripod. It is the part where the screw adjust the length of the tripod leg. I was annoyed as I have not been out for about a month with weather, light skies and whatnot, so went to go out last night and thought something did not feel right.

Put the scope on and the tripod started to lean forward. I tapped the brass piece back in, but as soon as I tighten it up it pushes back out and dont secure the leg.

Any advice on how to secure it, as I cant use the scope at the moment. Thanks.

Have you tried super-gluing the insert back into the plastic... would be my first attempt .. unccrew the screw right out first though if it will come out...

An ugly but quick fix is Duct Tape... you would just have to level using the other two legs...

Its a well know fact that it's duct tape and not dark energy or dark matter that really holds the universe together...

I had exactly the same problem with my first SW 1145p telescope. If you tightened the tripod screws too much they would pull the inserts out of the plastic ring. I tried epoxy resin, but the inserts still came out.

The solution I used was a little extreme, but it solved the problem. Basically I removed the plastic ends of the tripod legs by drilling out the rivets. I then got 3x Al tubes about 25mm lond and the same internal diameter as the legs and drilled a hole in the side of each one. I cut a thread in the hole the same as the locking screws. I then slid each tube down a leg of the tripod to create a clamp ring and re-attached the feet with pop-rivets. I used these new clamp rings to adjust and fix the tripod height, and locked the original screws just finger tight to avoid any strain.

post-16060-133877456411_thumb.jpg

Archived