NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I was out last night at my darkish sky site (although not really so till Midnight but that's June), me and my wife both saw quite a number of meteors towards the zenith in the couple of hours we were out. On checking up today I see this may have been the June Lyrids ?

One observation in particular stood out as notable though, and seemed anomalous as it would seem 'off' the radiant really. It was marginally brighter than Vega and Arcturus, hence I guess between magnitude 0 and -1. This one was relatively 'slow' and passed along a line heading for Vega (which it did not quite 'reach') approximately from the direction of Arcturus, we observed it for maybe 5 seconds, and the time (forgot to note it, tsk, would have been somewhere near 11pm)

Not sure if that was a Lyrid or not, it didn't seem satellite-like to me as it had a distinct flare and fade to it.

Besides that, my telescope was having a fit of the gremlins but it didn't stop me getting a beautiful star filled view of M13 and an easy split of the 'double-double' E Lyrae, also Saturn/Titan/Rhea, plus the merest hint of Tethys near the edge of the ring.

Dave.

Archived