Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Counter Weight Question

As some of you may know I have a 250p DS on EQ6 and found I need an extra counterweight to achieve proper balance.

I have just had a brainwave and managed to strip my old EQ1/2 mount of its counterweight and shaft (i was originally gonna use the weight only but it wont fit). This shaft happens to screw into the end of the existing shaft on my EQ6 thus acting as an extension.

So my question is whether having the supplied weights further from the body is gonna be a problem i.e. put too much strain on the mount through a greater torsional momentum? My gut reaction is no because this extension will result in the mount being properly balanced but I just want to check I havent missed anything.

TIA

I've got an extra counter weight on my scope, even though the manufacturer only recommends 3 * 10 lb weights, i need 40lb to balance my scope and guider scope, at the end of the days it's all down to balance, the problem i have is the screw fitting at the end of the bar is only 6mm, so if i put a 10 lb weight on an extension bar, it would bend or even snap.

the biggest problem (apart from snapping it!) is that if you extend the weights away from the centre of the RA pivot you will increase the moment arm and that might not be good. Mine has a 1.875" shaft but if it is a thin one it might tend to bend and 'whip' with wind forces. You won't see it happening, it's not that bad, but it might impart vibrations to the mount. Suck it and see.

Dennis

thanks for the info guys, Dennis that was what I was thinking would be the case and I just wanted to ensure the drives would be ok, which I guess they would and it seems its the extension bar that runs the risk of snapping, which is probably the biggest problem.

Archived