NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SCT -> DSLR with filter

Hi,

I've been scratching my head a bit trying to find the reference to an adaptor I thought I saw mentioned on here a few weeks ago. As I remember, it connect to an SCT thread at one end, a T thread at the other and had space for a 2" filter to screw in somewhere.

I seem to recall one of the guys from FLO mentioning that they had these items in stock but not on the website yet, but I can't find either the forum post, or the item on the website. Maybe I was dreaming?

Is there another good way to get a 2" filter in between the back end of an SCT and a DSLR? I think I could do it with current bits like this :

SCT->2" SCT Diagonal->filter on 2" nosepiece (SCT thread)->reducer -> SCT/T adaptor -> T-ring -> Camera

but it seems rather clumsy, and I'd like to avoid the weight of the diagonal.

I presume if I used a 1.25" back + 1.25->T adaptor I'd vignette the sensor much more than using 2" all the way...

cheers,

Robin

Borg also do a pair of adaptors that allow you to do this. the 2" filter fits in side the adaptors.. the two parts are #7424 and #7502

I'm not sure if the AE one allows you to use a filter unless your using the SCT-2" nosepiece part... which means you need a 2" visual back on the SCT...

Peter...

Thanks folks - still haven't found the item I was trying to remember sadly - it might have been something like this Baader adaptor : Baader Ultra-Short T2 Male to SCT Male / 2" Filter adapter (T2-27) , but on looking at this it's clear that this has the wrong SCT thread - I'd want a female SCT thread.

I Looked at the AE adaptor, but the way I read it is the same as Peter - ie I think you have to use the 2" nosepiece to use the filter.

Had a look for the borg parts on scs, but can't see them on their new-style web site. I'm thinking now that a 2" visual back and a 2"->T adaptor might be the best bet. Scopes'n'Skies have a back for £22, maybe there's a 2"->T in the astroboot too. Another option would be a dual speed focuser instead of a visual back. Hmmm :D Plenty of time to decide and save up before the nights comes back...

cheers for the suggestions

Robin

SCS used to sell them as part of the "SCT" fit Hutech Filters... which was really a 2" filter with the two Borg adaptors... They (SCS) stil list the 48-SCT option which uses the adpators and its £39 more than the plain 48mm filter so i guess thats what tehy would cost seperately...

I had the same problem - I got over it by using a T2 threaded CLS filter which is permently attached to the cam now

Makes sense, but that filter is almost the price of a dual speed 2" crayford for SCT! :D Still, if you use the camera exclusively for Astro, it at least keeps the dust out, which is good.

Found this, which would do the trick : TS Optics Adapter von SC Gewinde auf 2" - kurzbauend - Teleskop-Express: Astro-Shop + Fotografie + Naturbeobachtung , but I don't see that it's much different from a normal 2" back + 2" nosepiece, apart from being low profile. I guess I'll have to measure how far back the sensor is in my DSLR to work out optimum spacing from the reducer - 80-110mm or similar is best if I recall correctly.

cheers,

Robin

Makes sense, but that filter is almost the price of a dual speed 2" crayford for SCT! :D Still, if you use the camera exclusively for Astro, it at least keeps the dust out, which is good.

Yes - well I use a QHY ccd so its permently on the 'scope

Archived