NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Will a UHC filter work well with my 150 newt?

I'm dead keen to clap my eye on some nebulae as the only one i've seen so far is Orion. A UHC filter or OIII filter would be invaluable for this but i'm worried my Skywatcher 150 newt won't have enough light grasp to prevent the view becoming too dark. I've noted when browsing the on-line shops that the lumicon UHC filter is recomended for scopes of 200mm or bigger.

Can anyone recommend a UHC or OIII filter that will work with my little 150?:D

TTFN - clear skies

I ve noticed that for the aperture up to 200mm Baader UHC-S works wonders with nebulas. Lumicon/Astronomic OIII little demanding in terms of aperture and would not work quite as well as Baader UHC-S one. Many people underrate Baader filters, I find them to be of excellent quality and do not cost you arm and a leg.

I just got one of these Castell UHC Deepsky Filter for 2-Inch Eyepieces [Castell-Duhc2] - £45.59 : 365Astronomy: Discovery for every day!

To use with my SW ST120.

My only 'session' with it so far, has been with pretty difficult viewing, to say the least. Lots of high cloud, etc., plus the moon wasn't far off rising, and already brightening up the clouds. It certainly blanked out the streetlight up the road from my fathers house, with no problem at all, as a test.

Due to the conditions, I simply couldn't expect to find a nebula to try it on, but was interested to see what effect it would have on stars and the background.

It did darken the background, and I lost some of the fainter stars, but even in such bad circumstances, the view wasn't unpleasant, and I did find it easier to get a good focus. eta: I was using a 20mm SWA Erfle EP for 30 x magnification during that testing.

Bottom line, when viewing conditions are much better, I will use this UHC filter a lot.

Due to having it, however, it has now involved me in another future purchase (*grins*) . In particular this one Light Pollution Reduction - Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter which I think will be 'mild enough' to also get a lot of use in 'less good' viewing.

I'm certainly glad I bought the UHC, and if I hadn't bought it, it would definitely have gone onto the shopping list sooner rather than later. But with hindsight, I'd have bought the 'milder' light pollution filter first, especially as I've been plagued with a high altitude haze down here, since about mid-March, which I think will prevent the UHC from firing on all cycliners, for a while yet.

Also, getting the UHC has now prevented me from spending money on an OIII - I really don't think an OIII will offer me anything worthwhile extra.

Your 150 Newt should certainly have enough punch to make a UHC usable, if my 120 refractor is anything to go by, but perhaps the same perspective of getting a light pollution filter first, would make some sense, in a not one or the other, but eventually getting both, kind of way?

Frankly, if I'd known what I know now (since getting the UHC) when I got the ST120, I'd have ordered the light pollution filter with the 'scope. Not exactly having light pollution to write home about, made it appear something of a non-essential.

If you are a fan of nebs like I am, then both seem to be pretty indispensible.

Hope that helps.

Some OIII's work well even with smaller aperture scopes - my Astronomik OIII for example which I use frequently with my 4" refractor. The Baader UHC-S is specifially aimed at smaller scopes IMHO and I've used one of those sucessfully with an 80mm scope to see the Veil Nebula. Conversely however the Baader OIII filter is a "severe" filter which needs more aperture to be useful - I would suggest a minimum of 8" for that one.

The Lumicon UHC seems to get universal praise so is probably a safe bet in most scopes.

Having said all that I tend to prefer the unfiltered views most of the time except for things like the Veil and the Owl nebulae where a good filter is often the difference between seeing them and not under my moderately light polluted skies.

I already have an LP filter and it is useful and i've caught good views of orion without any filter at all but i'm keen to widen my nebula experience and i'm striggling with the severe light pollution i suffer in B'ham.

I do spend lots of time in Barmouth, Wales which gives much better skies but often lots of cloud too. I was hoping to find myself a nebula or galaxy when i next go back later this month.

Sounds like some UHC's are usable for my modest scope then. :D I'll have to invest in one!

Archived