Manual 'GO-TO' iPhone/iPod App?

I've had a search but the results haven't really answered my question.

Basically, I'm hoping to get a Dob soon as my first scope, and maybe I'm just wanting to get an iPod Touch :D but I was just wondering if there are any Apps which are basically like a manual Go-to mod.

I'm sure I remember seeing someone post a little device you can attach to your scope and it measures the orientation of the scope tube, thus knows where you're pointing your scope. So you just choose an object to observe and it directs you where to aim your scope. So basically I would attach my iPod to the scope and an app would tell me where to aim.

Cheers!

The best App I`ve come across for the IPhone is `Distant Suns`

The App uses the GPS/Compass ability of the IPhone to show you the star/planet formation for your location/bearing/point of direction.

Worth a try

Mark

There are some apps which can control your scope, such as Sky Voyager and Star Map Pro, but these interface to existing GOTO hardware that can already control your scope and also require software on your computer in some cases so that the phone can rely the WiFi commands via the computer and over a serial link. I think you can also get a WiFi to serial adapter for the Sky Voyager product to work with.

However, basically you need GOTO hardware already for your scope.

Instead of thinking about an ipod/iphone app, why not think about a scope that comes with a GOTO system? Or get an EQ mount and and EQMOD adapter and setup the EQMOD GOTO software on your computer. Then you can use a wireless playstation gamepad to control the scope and/or select stars from within planetarium software such as Stellarium and have the scope automatically slew to them.

There are lots of options to consider and you'll find people here who can tell you about whichever ones you fancy most.

David

Cheers for your replies both of you.

Armsoft, does the Distant Suns app allow you to choose an object then be pointed in which direction to tilt and point your phone?

OzDave, I don't actually want the mount to point my scope in the direction of the object, I don't mind doing that myself. I have looked at GOTO scopes, but I'm kind of set on a Dob for the aperture to £££ ratio. I know I could later remount it onto a EQ mount with GOTO capabilities, but it looks pricey.

I figured being told where to point would be handier than star hopping.

I have distant suns on my Touch and that will give you the numbers for locating an object in the sky at that time so with this device Misc’ - Wixey digital angle gauge on the Dob you can get the angle then with a wide EP sweep the azimuth to find it, you will know roughly where to point from the display on your Ipod. Seems an easy solution to me and probably the route I will eventually go. If you are unsure of where to point and feel flush try this http://www.manortronics-force-gauges.com/Astro both reviewed here http://www.nightskies.net/scopetest/accessories/wixey/wixey.html

With Distant Suns what you see on the IPhone screen is what is infront of you in the sky.

As you move the IPhone around the software uses the compass function on the phone (including tilt) and replicates where the Stars and Planets on the screen.

So in escence if your tilting the phone `Up` and you can see Saturn on the screen then that is where Saturn is in the sky, and having used it on a number of occasions as I try to `Learn` the layout of stars etc it is Very Accurate!

Worth a download before you go out and buy a scope or mount and then get outside in the evening and have a play with it, you`ll be surprised how quickly you start to pick up on the wherabouts of clusters/planets etc.

A very intuative App, one of the best I have on my IPhone (and I have a few), proberbly only bettered by my Kangaroo TV F1 App.

Mark

Cheers for your replies both of you.

Armsoft, does the Distant Suns app allow you to choose an object then be pointed in which direction to tilt and point your phone?

OzDave, I don't actually want the mount to point my scope in the direction of the object, I don't mind doing that myself. I have looked at GOTO scopes, but I'm kind of set on a Dob for the aperture to £££ ratio. I know I could later remount it onto a EQ mount with GOTO capabilities, but it looks pricey.

I figured being told where to point would be handier than star hopping.

So, If i were to mount an iPod on my scope in such a way it was pointing towards where ever my scope was looking it would pretty much tell me where I was looking and show me what was nearby?

Just watching this vid on youtube;

About half-way through it shows that you can choose an object then be pointed in the direction it is.

Apart from having no idea yet how I would mount it, is this basically what I describe I want in my original post, or am I missing something?

The answer in principle is Yes, although how you would mount it would be a challenge.

Mark

So, If i were to mount an iPod on my scope in such a way it was pointing towards where ever my scope was looking it would pretty much tell me where I was looking and show me what was nearby?

Just watching this vid on youtube;

About half-way through it shows that you can choose an object then be pointed in the direction it is.

Apart from having no idea yet how I would mount it, is this basically what I describe I want in my original post, or am I missing something?

Archived