Reflectors view?

Hi all, just got my new dob and shes a tiger, however this being my first newtonian telescope let alone my first ever telescope, i was under the impression that the view through the eyepiece was to be upside down?!?!

When i aligned my finder scope to the ota earlier i found the image in the eye piece to be at almost 90 degrees as opposed to upside down.

Is this the norm, or is there something ive done to it?

Thanks in advance.

Al

Funnily enough, I don't think I've ever looked through my dob in daytime - but the orientation of stars is different in the main scope compared to the view in the finder, and I'm guessing it's to do with the secondary angle (i.e. the fact that the focusser of the main scope is set on the tube at an angle of 45 degrees to horizontal).

Yeah the finders image is upside down.

On the newt itself the image with the 25mm ep in is nearly at 90 degrees.

I live on a faily steep hill and im looking through a window at a church tower a good kilometre away.

Al

Funnily enough, I don't think I've ever looked through my dob in daytime - but the orientation of stars is different in the main scope compared to the view in the finder, and I'm guessing it's to do with the secondary angle (i.e. the fact that the focusser of the main scope is set on the tube at an angle of 45 degrees to horizontal).

So its all cool then?

Well, I've never found it a problem. Though I'm guessing that the angle is 45 degrees (or 135), not 90. I suppose the twisting of one's neck to look through the finder could make up the rest of the difference.

Archived