NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Digital setting circles

Some of you may have read my post about my 16" binoscope.

Well, after a reasonable evenings viewing at the weekend we decided that the cheap inclinometer and angle reader I've fitted are useless.

The most annoying thing about them is that if the scope isn't moved for a few minutes then they turn themselves off, and reset to zero when switching back on.

After a few hours use they started throwing up all sorts of angles and weird numbers, so I'm going to scrap them.

We can't afford the drives and goto yet so we want to fit some sort of halfway house setting circle system for now.

I've tried a search on here but couldn't find much.

So, what's the best retrofittable system around at the moment?

It would be ok if it's designed for Dobsonians, I'll get it to fit somehow.

All I can find is the Sky Commander. Anyone use this?

Any similar/better systems around for, say, £3-£400?

Any available in UK?

Want one which locates objects rather than just a simple angle readout.

Cheers, Keith.

I've come across a little toy that may be useful to you, it is the Lumicon NGC Sky Vector. I have no clue how much it costs as I've only used someone else's on their scope, but I think it would tick your boxes. It didn't turn itself off and had many different modes of use, one of which was 'identify', so you can point it at an unfamiliar object and it'll tell you what you're looking at - pretty cool!

It makes a dob a 'push to' easily, simply by aligning three known stars when you set it up. Simples!

Try Dropping JMI a line,i use their Micromax digital setting circles,they also do a more advanced version.I find them exerllent.They do installation kits for for most mounts.

You can buy direct from JMI,or possibly order from Rother Valley.You would have to explain your mount,but its worth a look.

regards.

Mick.

Archived