Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron AstroMaster 114EQ photography

Hello all,

I have the above named telescope and I am looking to buy a T adaptor for my Canon SLR 35mm.

I have come across two types of T adaptor. One with a 2 x Barlow lense built in and one with out. They both are similarly priced.

As I have little experience with Astronomy in general I am asking if it is more advantagious getting the adaptor with the Barlow Lense built in or not.

Will it give me greater magnification at the cost of quality?

Look forward to hearing from you,

Regards,

Steve.

Steve, that's a tricky one... The use of the barlow can be very hard on the kit, as you have to have very accurate tracking over much longer exposures than without. A 2x means you need 4x the exposure time, and the longer equivalent focal length will also amplify any tracking errors. So if you can get focus without, that's going to be a better bet. I have heard though, that a number of reflector scopes don't have enough inward movement on the focuser to enable you to reach focus with a camera like an SLR without the barlow...

Archived